Thursday, March 3, 2011

Breaking Down

So, as a teacher, I know it can sometimes be incredibly rewarding to see your students absorbing the knowledge you give them but at the same time it's incredibly frustrating.

I teach kids ranging in age from 8-18. I have the full spectrum of the difficulties each age group has to offer. I have the young kids who are hard to reign in and full of energy, the ones that think that the opposite sex has coodies so that they can't be on the same team, and the ones who hate to lose and start to cry and calling me a "bad teacher" because that's the only thing they can really say.

Then, they get a little older and they're a little more obedient but at the same time they rebel behind your back. They're too afraid to be punished but want to look cool in front of their friends.

Then they get older and are just outright disrespectful. I leave the room for a photocopy and come back to writing on  the board that says "play game" and I tell them maybe next time. I'm met with screams, shouts, some start hitting things, and they tell me how "bad" I am. Then, I have to leave again and I come back to "you terrible" written on the board because the lack of game. Then they flat out refuse to do their work and are constantly talking. I try to get them to focus but to no avail. My anger meter is rising.


Feeling I get from teaching these devil children!!

I follow the strict 3 strikes rule in my class. Well, 2 of them got 3 strikes so it was time to fight them out of the classroom. I tell them to leave and go to Mr. Jo's office (the priciple) but they won't get up. They're very afraid now and I told them they should have thought of that earlier. Then I grab them by the arm, now these are 13-14 year old boys so they're difficult to drag, and I try to pull them out. I try and try but it doesn't work. Finally I throw my books on the desk and sit down telling them they need to finish 5 pages in the next 15 minutes or their mothers will all be called.


I needed to get away from the situation so I stepped outside for a bit. I come back in composed and they're throwing their books around. I pick up my books and throw them clear across the room almost hitting one, totally by accident. Then throw my pencils and pens. They all stop and sit down. Clearly the teacher has gone crazy, they're thinking.


So, I start to lecture them saying that I get angry too and that I don't want to study all the time either but they will never ever ever get to play a game when they do things like that. By this time, it's time to leave. So, I give them their homework and send them on their way. On the way out I went to hand some homework to one of my boys but he refused it infront of the principle. Complete disrespect and it was embarrassing for me. He yells at him and the boy tell him in Korean that I physically hurt him and that I was saying "Fuck"! Luckily, I'm smart enough to understand him and yell at him calling him a liar. My priciple doesn't speak English so it's hard to explain. So, basically I look like a big ass because of these little pricks!

Even though I have been here for 1 year and 3 months, this was almost a dealbreaker of a day. It's days like these where I think, "Why the hell should I even care?" These kids don't want to be here and I'm putting in so much time, effort, and emotions. I think that if we don't get a better way to handle these situations I'll have to start looking for a new job. I've been through too much and I'm sick of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment