Monday, February 14, 2011

Vanlentine's Day in Korea

I'm celebrating my second Valentine's Day since I've been in Korea. I, of course, am celebrating it alone again. However, it's not as lonely as it would be in the states. The children here just call it chocolate day.

The major difference in Valentine's Day in Korea is that the girls give the boys chocolate. Their either make them chocolate or they buy special chocolates and give it to the boy they like. It's like a small confession of love. However, since I teach at an academy I don't get to see the kids give out chocolates to the boys they like. :-(

However, I was slightly suprised when I met two of my students right outside my apartment and they gave me chocolate and wished my a happy Valentine's Day. When I got to school was was given a larg amount of chocolates by all my students. Of course, they were all girls. And the boys ran up to me screaming for chocolate. I felt terrible that I had forgotten this useless holiday and didn't have any chocolates to give out. I guess I won't be getting any chocolates from the boys on White Day, March 14th.

I feel a little sad that I don't really know the traditions of older people on Valentine's Day. I just know what the younger kids do. Maybe next year I will learn when I have a boyfriend to spend it with. But for now, I'm happy with receiving chocolates from my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment